Wayward Transparency Finish

I had so many doubts while making this quilt. I wondered about my fabric choices, I wondered about the layout and I wondered about the quilting. But in the end, I absolutely love the finished quilt!


Back in August of this year, Yvonne who blogs at Quilting JetGirl launched her Wayward Transparency quilt along. I love Yvonne's designs so I knew right away that I was going to participate.

And then the doubting started...  I ordered three different shades of blue and when I received them, I didn't like the combination at all. Not enough contrast between the shades and I was afraid the transparency effect wouldn't come through. So I searched through my stash to find better fabric. I ended up using three different Kona shades: Cloud, Algeria and Black.

When I finished piecing the big four blocks together, I needed to decide on a layout. I could leave the 48" square top or I could add big setting triangles and set it on point to make it bigger. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of the Cloud fabric and would have had to order more. I debated for a day or two  during which the small top just hung in my sewing room.


It then occurred to me that grand-baby #4 is due in just a few weeks and that a 48" square quilt would be perfect as a baby quilt. So I decided to just leave it like that and didn't order any more Cloud.

Next decision was how to quilt it. Now that I knew this was going to be a baby quilt, I didn't want to quilt it super densely with FMQ designs - I wanted it to stay soft and snuggly. So maybe some organic wavy lines or maybe some straight lines or maybe even a grid.

I decided to go with straight lines using my walking foot and Aurifil 2600 in 50 wt. I used painter's tape to make the distance between each line. When I was done with the vertical lines, I wasn't crazy about it at all. It needed something else. It was pretty late at night by then so I decided to sleep on it.  The next morning, I walked into my sewing room and knew what to do! I quilted black lines distanced randomly throughout the quilt top. Exactly the effect I wanted!



I had decided even before quilting it that I was going to use Kona Black to bind it. But I ended up not having enough for the whole thing so added one strip of Algeria.


So after many, many decisions and doubts, I have a finished baby quilt for grand-baby #4 that I'm super happy with!

Quilt Stats:
  • Pattern: Wayward Transparency by Yvonne Fuchs
  • Size: 48" square 
  • Fabrics: Kona Cloud, Algeria and Black 
  • Thread: Pieced with Aurifil #2600 in 50 wt, quilted with Aurifil #2600 and #2692 (black) in 50 wt 
  • Recipient: Grand-Baby #4


I will be linking up at Quilting Jetgirl for the Wayward Transparency parade on January 12 and also at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Kathy's Kwilts and More for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. Sometimes the quilt journey isn't straight forward, but in the end, it's always worth it! Gorgeous finish, Izzy! I particularly love the little strip of Alegria in the binding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! The colors you choose are perfect and the quilting is amazing. I need to quilt mine...thanks for the inspiratioin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out beautifully, Izzy, and I'm so honored it is going to be gifted to your grandchild! The extra touch of quilting was a perfect solution, and I really like how the quilt looks against the snow. Eeek, I love seen how it came together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Izzy! I love how you quilted it. I'm probably doing mine in a spiral...but that could still change ha! Love the strip of Algeria you added to the binding :-) and the photo shoot too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish! I really like your color selection and the straight line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic finish! Love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it just amazing how that can happen with a project that isn't working for us, and then: Boom! It transforms into something wonderful? I love this quilt's emergence story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! the colors are so dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing. It's going to be a great quilt for the grand baby. I'm still debating a quilting plan for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt! Congrats on the finish and the new grand baby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mix of colors you chose! Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very beautiful and so lovely work :) i like your good idea ,Thanks for the inspiration!

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment