Ocean Path Finish

After our Thanksgiving family get-together, once the kitchen was clean and everyone had gone back home, I decided to go down to my sewing room and finish my Ocean Path quilt.


I purchased this pattern from Quilt Theory a while ago and I put the top together at the beginning of the summer, but then it sat there for a few weeks. I finally basted her in August but then it sat some more until about 2 weeks ago when I decided to start quilting it.

For the blue triangles, I knew I wanted to practice some dot to dot quilting with rulers.  I quilted a couple of blocks that way, but for some reason, my Juki did not enjoy that at all... lots of thread breaks and tension issues. I got so frustrated, I took the ruler foot off, put on a regular FMQ foot and just eyeballed it!  The lines definitely aren't perfect, but they are close enough.



For the coral negative space, I was stuck and couldn't decide what designs to use! I then opened the pattern and looked at how the quilt on the cover was quilted. Pebbles and wavy lines! Yes!



I had so much fun quilting it!!  And the texture is just wonderful. I'm really happy with how smooth my pebbles are - the practice really is paying off.

And with this finish, I'm kicking of quarter 4 of the 2017 FAL! This was project number 5 on my list.

Quilt Stats:
  • Pattern: Kitty Wilkin for Quilt Theory
  • Size: 50" x 60"
  • Fabrics: Kona cottons in 4 shades of blue and a coral background (don't know the designer or manufacturer)
  • Thread: Pieced with Aurifil #2600 in 50 wt, quilted with Auriful #2780 (blue) and Auriful #2415 (light pink), both in 50 wt.
  • Recipient:  The quilting is far from perfect so I might keep this one



I will be linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday and at Janda Bend Quilts for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. Love your Quilt and your quilting! I have been trying my hand at free motion quilting as well. I really like it, but I need more practice. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! What fun colors! And yay for the awesome quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the coral with the blue! But the texture on the quilt...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the pebbles are spilling out of the spaces in the center and the water is lapping up against them. Beautiful finish! I love seeing Quilt Theory patterns remade!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome version of Ocean Path and I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore this quilt, Izzy! I love all the quilty texture from the wavy quilting and pebbles and that graphic piecing is just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love your quilty texture too. The colors you picked look great together. Sorry you had problems with ruler work. No one would really know that looking at the overall quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT colour choices! They're so different from standard, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super. C'est pas facile le "ruler foot" avec la Juki. Moi j'ai suivi un mini-cours en ligne et le prof disait qu'elle laissait les "feet dogs up" lorsqu'elle utilisait une règle droite. Et ça aide vraiment beaucoup pour mon fil qui cassait tout le temps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment