Meadow Mystery QAL Finish

Wow - it's been a full month since my last finish!  This means I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the sewing room in the last month and that's not good.  I did work on a house quilts for #quiltsforqc, but other than that, my poor Juki hasn't seen a lot of action.

Then last weekend, I decided I was going to stay off the work computer, ignore the email messages piling up in my inbox and spend time finishing my Meadow Mystery quilt.  This QAL, organized by Cheryl over at Meadow Mist Designs, started in July 2016 and the parade of finished quilts is scheduled for April 5 to 7.


I chose Curiosities by Jeni Baker for my focus fabrics and the background is Kona Snow and Kona Ash.  I'm really pleased with my choices of focus fabrics, but my background colours don't have nearly enough contrast.

Also, as much as I love Cheryl's designs (I have used her patterns many, many times in the past) and this one is no exception, I learned that I don't love mystery QALs.  I'm just not very good at selecting fabrics when I can't visualize what they'll look like in a finished quilt.  The good news is Cheryl always has a "no mystery" version of her QALs so next time, I think that's what I'll do.

For the quilting, I used my walking foot to quilt wavy horizontal lines that cross randomly. I really like the look of those lines and the texture is so nice.


This lap size quilt is going to be making its way to Louisville, Kentucky in a couple of weeks. My friend and work colleage Patti is an amazing crocheter and she agreed to swap a crochet blanket for a lap quilt.  I really hope she likes it!

Quilt Stats:
  • Pattern:  Meadow Mystery by Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs
  • Size: 60" x 60”
  • Fabrics: Curiosities by Jeni Baker, Kona Snow and Kona Ash
  • Thread: pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2021 50 wt
  • Recipient:  Patti

I will be celebrated this long awaited finish by linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at The Carpenter's Daughter Who Quilts for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. I'm fairly new to blogging and came across your blog through QuilterBlogs. Hope you don't mind my commenting and letting you know how much I love this finished quilt. One of the things I love about Mystery QALs is how everyone stitches the same pattern, but the finished pieces are always so different. Your finished quilt is fantastic. I love that you took the picture out in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out really nice! And I love the trade you are making. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the two colour background adds a nice feeling of depth. Congrats on a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! The fabric you picked is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the fabrics you selected created a very soft and sophisticated quilt. I finished my version with organic wavy line quilting, too. I hope your friend gets a lot of use and enjoys it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'est très réussi. Le gris et le motif fleuri ont un petit côté un peu viellot très amusant et réconfortant, que le tissu orange vient égayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your lovely Meadow quilt finish. I agree choosing fabrics for the mysteries is the hardest part.I love your color choices and especially the organic wavy line quilting. I definitely need to try this out since I have so many tops needing quilting. Thank you for linking up with this week's TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love your combination of prints and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your fabric choices were great but I know what you mean about it being tricky to choose fabrics for a mystery project. I've gotten around that the last couple of times by going scrappy both with my backgrounds and my prints but it can still be tricky to get the balance right when you don't know where a project is ultimately headed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish, your colour choices have worked out really well even although you were selecting them in the dark so to speak :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful finish! It looks amazing. Your swap partner is lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment