Project Quilting Season 8 - Challenge 8.1

Kim from Persimon Dreams is hosting the Project Quilting Challenges again this year - this will be season 8!  I had heard of this challenge in the past, but really didn't think I'd be able to create something in a week so never participated.

This year, I would like to challenge myself a little bit more with my quilting.  I want to leave my comfort zone a little more often and so what if I fail from time to time - I'm planning on using scraps or my stash this year, so what's the worst thing that could happen? I'll end up using up more fabric and in the process, I'm hoping I'll grow and learn.

The 1st challenge for Season 8 is titled "Eight is Great!".  Our project needs to somehow involve the number 8.

I spent a little bit of time on the web of course, just looking around for inspiration and came across this emoticon:


I immediately took out my pencil and graph paper and designed my mini quilt.


I used nothing but scraps for the top - red and white Kona Cottons. And I quilted it with wavy lines about 1/2" apart with my walking foot.



I think this fits the theme of the challenge perfectly and I'm super happy with my little finish.

Quilt Stats:

  • Pattern: my own design, but inspired by the 8-) emoticon
  • Size: 15” x 21”
  • Fabrics: All scraps (this is scrap project #2 for 2017)
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2021 in 50 wt
I will be linking up at Project Quilting, at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Quokka Quilts for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. Super clever!! Can't wait to see what else you whip up this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfect! What a fun challenge and you certainly nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and fun way to interpret the challenge! I hope the Project Quilting Challenge is a fun way to stretch your creative muscles this year. You are definitely off to a great start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect! Love how you came up with this - what a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE! How fun....great use of an 8.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of creativity and scraps. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. Have fun with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment