MMQG Molinari Challenge Finish

Last Spring, the Montreal MQG challenged their members to design and create a quilt based on the work of Montreal artist Guido Molinari.  To help inspire us, the leadership of the guild organized a visit to the Guido Molinari Foundation museum and even put together a really cool presentation on his work.

I couldn't attend the museum visit so had to depend on Google to get a good feel for his body of work.  Now I'm going to let you in on a little secret - I know absolutely nothing about modern art. So I had to rely solely on my gut when it came to choosing one of his pieces as my inspiration.

I also had to choose something that I could make into a quilt so I went with something fairly simple.


I pieced the quilt from Kona solids (Black, Red and Ocean).  I wanted the modern feel to continue with the quilting so decided to go with straight lines with my walking foot.


I quilted some of the lines with black thread, others with blue and red.  It's really hard to capture the real colours in these photos, but trust me, it's really cool in person.  :-)


The quilt measures about 30" x 40".

The next challenge of the Montreal MQG is to design and create a quilt based on a Montreal metro station.  The metro system in Montreal is celebrating its 50th birthday this year and many stations have really beautiful works of art on display - some of the stations themselves are works of art!

I chose the metro station closest to my house and the one that takes me home every night...  I can't wait to get started!

But first, my friend Shannon of s/f Designs is getting ready to publish a pattern and I offered to test it for her.  So that's the first priority for me over the next few days.

Will be linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts and at http://busyhandsquilts.blogspot.ca/ for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. Great idea for a challenge. You did a great job. The quilting really compliments it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like! Wish I could see the quilting in person but it definitely looks cool and really adds to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilting on this quilt, Izzy! It's a nice contrast to the design you chose :)

    ReplyDelete

  4. The ego twist kit allows the person to customise the contents of their package. they have got a choice of atomizers, they are able to select a clearomizer, glassomizer or a tank. customers can then pick out which size case they would like and the colour. The instances are available in sizes small, medium and large. For more ==== >>>>>> http://musclegainfast.com/max-testo-xl/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment