Weight of Love - Finally done!

I don't usually carry WIPs around for very long - I'm more of a start and finish kind of quilter.  But this one had been in my sewing room for a while.  Back in March 2016, the Montreal Modern Quilt Guild organized a workshop with Libs Elliot and we all worked on the Weight of Love quilt pattern. I love the design and was very happy with my fabric choices, but I wasn't thrilled with my Y seams.

So the couple of rows I had pieced at the workshop languished on my design wall for months!


I even put this WIP on my FAL list for Q2 and Q3, but only took it out again in September.  I finished piecing the big hexagon and then was stuck again.  I didn't want to applique the hexagon on a background because I had nothing in my sewing room that was big enough and I promised myself I wouldn't buy any fabric until 2017.

When I put it on my Q4 FAL list, I was determined to finish it before the end of the quarter.  So I decided to make things easy on myself and cut the sides even so I ended up with a big hexagon with six even sides.


I immediately basted it and started quilting - a nice, simple, easy meander with grey Aurifil thread in 50 wt (#2600 Dove).


Some of my Y seams are not exactly perfect...


But some are pretty good...


The day I took the pictures, my step-daughter was here with my grand-daughter and I decided to give her the quilt to use as a play mat.  She was super happy to take it and I was super happy to give it away!


I will linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts and at Busy Hands Quilts for TGIFF because I definitely need to celebrate this finish!

And because this was on my Q4 list for the 2016 FAL, I will linking up there too.

Comments

  1. Congrats on the finish - I REALLY like how you changed it - it went from - oh that;s neat - to amazing!!! What a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such restraint, Izzy! I would totally have been "oh, I really need a large piece of fabric to appliqué my hexie, fabric shop here I come!" ;) I love that you chopped it up and made it into a play mat, clever! And yay to having it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great and how fun to find a home for it so quickly - awesome! Will be sharing on our FAL fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did turn out great! It makes a perfect play mat with the bright colors and the shape! Well done and congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfect to me! Thanks for linking to Finished or not Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ça fait vraiment un super beau tapis de jeu, belle idée de transformation pour terminer un projet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great solution, I love the bright colors in this and the shape is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! I love that it's not square. It's a great finish and awesome that it found a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I miss this one? Fantastic, Izzy! Perfect size for a playmat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's fabulous! Congratulations on the finish and thank you for participating in the 2016FAL, on behalf of all the hosts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment