Crosscut Quilt - A QAL Finish

When Debbie of A Quilter's Table announced on Instagram that she would be hosting a quilt-along for her Crosscut Quilt, I knew I had to get on board.  The timing couldn't have been better because I'm on vacation for two weeks.

I went with a black background for my quilt because I already had 10" squares in my stash and decided to use yellow and orange scraps for the bars.

This is what the top looked at after I made the original blocks.


After sewing the blocks together, I have to say, moving onto the next steps was pretty difficult because I really liked it.  But this is what it looked like after cutting my new "fabric" into 6.5" squares and sewing those together.


Pretty cool right?

For the quilting, I knew I would have to use my orange Aurifil in 40wt so it popped, but wasn't sure if I should use straight lines or FMQ.  In the end, I decided to use a radiating design I've used in the past and I'm quite pleased with the effect. I find the quilting adds another dimension to the quilt and the orange thread is just perfect!



This was not at all what I needed to be finishing this week, but I'm so glad I did it.  This little 24" square quilt is probably going up on a wall somewhere in the house.



If you would like more information on the Crosscut Quilt or make one of your own, check out @aquilterstable on Instagram.  All of the instructions for making the quilt are on there.  Also, check out the #crosscutquiltalong hashtag on Instagram to see everyone's version of the quilt.

I will be linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at What a Hoot! for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. Wow!! I love this Izzy! The quilting is brilliant and so perfect for the design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out so good, better than good!! The quilting really put it over the top and those colors! The quilt-along was really fun, but boy did I not want to cut it up! I finished mine last night and look forward using the crosscut block again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat quilt! Very nice to see this at TGIFF. :D I absolutely love the radiating quilting scheme on it. Fantastic binding choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your version is amazing, love the black background and the radiating quilting, super finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your version and I agree the quilting puts it over the top! So glad you joined in!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish ! The radiating quilting with orange thread was the perfect choice. I'm considering to make one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt looks great! I followed the QAL on instagram and will probably try the block later on. Enjoy your finish even if it might not have been the most important one. It looks fun and you will enjoy it everytime you walk by that wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish! I really like the look of the cut up cross blocks and your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this! They colors and your quilting are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fantastic. the colours really pop on the dark background and the quilting fits very well

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving this!!! so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love the orange radiating quilting, Izzy! I agree, it totally adds to the overall effect of the quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing! I totally missed this QAL. The quilting was a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your version and the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this!! Do you have a pattern that you could direct me to or I'm willing to purchase one as I love this so much!! Thanks
    judyk2310@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this!! Do you have a pattern that you could direct me to or I'm willing to purchase one as I love this so much!! Thanks
    judyk2310@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous piece...and what a leap of faith to cut up the original quilt top! But the results speak for themselves. And your quilted texture adds another layer of beauty...great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment