Quick Projects for the Weekend

I know I've got lots of finished tops that need quilting and I'm supposed to be working on the July Schnibble, but this weekend, I felt like working on something small, simple and quick.  And I also wanted to try something new.

I decided to make myself another small zipper pouch.  First because I need the practice - I'm really bad at zippers!  And second because I needed a pouch to store my zippers and elastics.  So I started looking around blogland for a fun project that would "challenge" me a little.

I found this great tutorial at Lee's blog - Freshly Pieced.  Lee's tutorial was super easy to follow, but I had never done a ruffle before so I made a couple of mistakes.  Can you tell what they are?  :-)

I'm not sure you can really tell from this picture, but I sewed the bottom ruffle incorrectly.  Instead of sewing the raw edge of the ruffle to the accent piece, I sewed the folded edge.  So I've got a raw edged ruffle sticking out!  I also messed up and used the wrong fabric for the accent piece. 

Here is the finished pouch with its content!

I used some Recipe for Friendship fat quarters I had left.

When I finished the pouch, I started working on another small project.  I've been wanting to make a wall quilt for the new mud room my sweetie built in the Spring.  I went through my Bloom Creek Quilts book and found the perfect pattern.

Birdhouse Welcome designed by Vicki Bellino and  I used Blueberry Crumbcake charms.

This project came together super fast and I got to practice another technique I rarely use - applique.  I hope to be able to quilt and put the binding on this little wall quilt this weekend.

Linking up at Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday.  Go and check out what everyone else is up to this week!


Fresh Poppy Design


Izzy

Comments

  1. Cute bag Izzy :-) Thanks for the tips on making a ruffle. I plan on making a bag with a ruffle soon and I'll be careful about how I put it on. It's so easy to make a mistake like that! I would have never noticed though! If it was bothering you, you could cut it with pinking shears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute projects! I have that Bloom Creek pattern and have never used it, it's super cute in Blueberry Crumb Cake fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pouch - I love a small project for a bit of quick finish sewing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment